1) Databases: Choose the database in which you wish to search from the drop down menu in the first search box.
· Editorial: For celebrity, studio or location portraiture, music, travel, features, news, humour and off-beat images
· Lifestyle: For beauty, interiors, food, catwalk and fashion images
2) Search word, Image number: (For editorial)
· Once you have chosen the database use this second search box to begin. Choose a person (e.g. Kylie) or a place (e.g. Sydney) you may leave a space between each word or use a comma or ‘and’ - all will work.
· Hyphens and also ‘and not’ do not work in this search box
· Add further words in this search box to define search further (e.g. Kylie Sydney Concert – If you wish to only see images of Kylie in concert in Sydney)
3) Editorial Categories
· To narrow down your search you may choose categories from this drop down menu.
· Most categories are self-explanatory however a new category called NON-CLEARANCE will only bring up portraits that do not need clearance and are standard fees.
· STUDIO is the category we use for all our quality portraiture. Images in this category are labelled as ‘restricted’ and are not downloadable. This is to ensure that you speak to a member of the sales team to either agree fees, begin clearance proceedings or discuss the image’s exclusivity.
4) All Authors
· This drop down menu allows you to see all the images we hold by a particular photographer. By using this method you will only see images by the photographer not of the photographer:
useful in the case of ‘famous’ photographers such as Bryan Aris and Lord Snowdon.
Advanced search page
· Another method in which to narrow down image results. If you know the photographer you may add his/her name in the ‘byline’ field to narrow results to their material only.
· Also by putting the celebrities name in the ‘headline’ field you will only be shown images in which the celebrity appears and not people who are affiliated with that celebrity. E.g. If you search Madonna in ‘headline’ you will only be shown images of Madonna and not single images of all the men she has been linked to. Again if you search Queen Elizabeth you will only see images, which she is actually in rather than events or buildings in her name or marking any of her anniversaries.
· The ‘keywords’ field can be used to define a particular shot you are looking for e.g. full length, head shoulders, head shot, colour, red carpet etc.
lifestyle search tips
NEW ! - click on a thumbnail to bring up the preview then click ENHANCED this will give you a selection of boxes to tick to find similar images
NEW! - click on a thumbnail to bring up the preview then click on ZOOM then select an area
NEW! - click on a thumbnail to bring up the preview and click on STYLE to modify the image
NEW! - click on the box GRID under the thumbnail to see the COMPLETE SET of images or click show all images in set on the preview page
NEW! - SEARCH WITHIN A SEARCH by clicking on SEARCH WITHIN RESULTS
NEW! - search by CATEGORY e.g. woman beauty or interiors bathroom or select your chosen category first and then enter your keyword(s).
The KEY WORDS for Lifestyle images are: man, woman, boy, girl, female, male, couple, group etc.
You can search PHRASES in quotation marks for instance "beautiful hair"
You can REFINE your search by adding more words e.g. woman face care cream or female shopping happy
You can SEARCH NEGATIVELY e.g. woman shopping not Christmas
Use * either before or after a word to bring up variations e.g. lip, lips, lipstick
Some useful words:
BEAUTIFUL - you can search for gorgeous pictures of hair, skin etc.
FEATURE - if you are looking for stories with words and pictures or SERIES for pictures without text
GENERIC - you can search for woman smiling generic to find images just of smiling and no other activity GLAMOROUS or STYLISH - to find the very best images e.g. living room stylish, woman glamorous make up.
If you know the PHOTOGRAPHER or MAGAZINE or SUPPLIER title just use these, or add to your search e.g.madame figaro make up.